About Me

My photo
I am a woman of many interests, maybe too many! I love to learn about new things and enjoy sharing great finds and interesting information. My goal in life is to make a difference in other peoples' lives. This is my outlet to explore those oh-so-many avenues of interest!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Hyaluronic Acid

I want to share with you a supplement/ingredient I strongly believe in. I first heard about hyaluronic acid from a makeup artist who suggested that I use a moisturizer that contain it. Not knowing what hyaluronic acid was, I researched it and learned that it is naturally occurring in the body and aids in joint lubrication and skin hydration. It is found in connective tissue, and when produced in abnormal amount, can cause certain connective tissue diseases. Interestingly though, hyaluronic acid is also being studied and used to help treat some of these same diseases, including rheumatoid and osteoarthritis.

In recent years the media has dubbed hyaluronic acid as "the key to the fountain of youth." It is used by medspas and dermatologists as the injectable filler, Restylane. Topical products containing hyaluronic acid are thought to be more hydrating. At the time I first heard about hyaluronic acid, about 4 years ago, I had a hard time finding products that contained it for under $100. I looked into oral supplements and decided that was the best way for me to get my extra dose. By taking the hyaluronic acid internally I was hydrating from the inside. Within the first month and a half of taking the supplement I noticed my skin was much more hydrated. Prior to taking hyaluronic acid I had to moisturize head to toe after every shower (the chlorine in South Florida water is high, which causes excessive skin dehydration). I no longer have that problem. I noticed my complexion was clearer as well and I didn't need as much facial moisturizer either. Because I've had such success with taking hyaluronic acid for my skin, I plan to continue to take it in hopes that as I age it will also help me with joint health.

I am a firm believer in the benefits of hyaluronic acid used both topically and internally. However, if you should decide to take it internally you should consult with your doctor before doing so, as with any vitamin or supplement. Even if you decide not to take a hyaluronic acid supplement, it’s a great ingredient to look for in your facial moisturizers.

-NM

Nature's Way - Hydraplenish Hyaluronic Acid, 60 veggie capsphilosophy | when hope is not enough | replenishing hyaluronic acid/peptide capsules | advanced facial skin careHyaluronic Acid Night Creme - 2oz

No comments:

Post a Comment