About Me

My photo
I am a woman of many interests, maybe too many! I love to learn about new things and enjoy sharing great finds and interesting information. My goal in life is to make a difference in other peoples' lives. This is my outlet to explore those oh-so-many avenues of interest!

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Stonyfield Farms:Organic Dairy Products


One of my favorite grocery store brands is Stonyfield Farms yogurts. I buy them for my boys and for myself. I am a huge fan of a daily serving of yogurt because of its probiotic advantages.

Probiotics are, in short, good bacteria, or microorganisms that encourage the growth of good bacteria in the digestive tract. Probiotics have been known to help treat lactose intolerance, antibiotic-related diarrhea and yeast infections, urinary tract infections, H. Ppylori infections, IBS, and colitis. The use and benefits of probiotics is still undergoing research, but may also be useful in treating high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and colon cancer. All yogurts contain probiotocs, however not all yogurts are Stonyfield.

Stonyfield Farms began in 1983 as a teaching farm for sustainable and organic farming. Their mission was to help family farms stay alive and promote environmental protection. The farm made and sold yogurt locally to help fund maintenance costs. Because Stonyfield had such a great yogurt recipe, the popularity of their yogurt grew. Just five years later they became a commercial producer of organic dairy products. Today Stonyfield is responsible for supporting hundreds of family farms and keeping over 100,000 agricultural acres free from conventional farming pesticides and chemicals.

The Stonyfield family includes yogurts (including Greek yogurt), milk, ice cream, smoothies and soy products. I especially love their YoBaby line. This line is designed especially for babies and toddlers and includes whole milk yogurts with fruit and cereal, with fruits and veggies, and smoothies. My boys start each day with a yogurt smoothie and love them. When I first introduced them to yogurt (each around 9 months old), I gave them the yogurt with fruit and cereal for breakfast. They not only loved the taste, but because of the added cereal, it filled their bellies.



Also offered is the YoKids line, which provides low-fat fruit flavors each with 10% of children’s daily recommended protein and 25% less sugar that other kids yogurts. And of course, all the ingredients are organic.

I myself eat a Low Fat Vanilla yogurt cup with a handful of granola every morning to get my day started.

Recently Stonyfield started a rewards program were you can create an on-line profile and collect points by recording product codes printed on their packaging. You can redeem your points for Stonyfield products, as well as other natural and organic products. It’s a great way to sample other Stonyfield products and other brands for free.

I love Stonyfield’s products almost as much as I love their mission: “We’re committed to healthy food, healthy people, a healthy planet, and healthy business.”

-NM


No comments:

Post a Comment